Diabetes Prevention Program
The Diabetes Prevention Program is a CDC-recognized program that is designed to help participants develop a healthy lifestyle through 16 weekly sessions and monthly follow-ups.
The program offers on-site sessions along with the WATT™ online and mobile tools to help participants learn diabetes prevention basics, self-manage their health, and connect with their lifestyle coaches, anytime, anywhere.
Prevention is Possible and Powerful!
The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan's Diabetes Prevention Program can help you take small steps toward living a healthier life in a supportive environment!
The Diabetes Prevention Program is designed for individuals who have prediabetes and are at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. To participate in the program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Be overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥22 if Asian) and
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and
- Have a blood test result in the prediabetes range within the past year:
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4% or
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL or
- Be previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes
Be a Part of a Support System
Participants will be a part of a small, supportive group lead by a trained lifestyle coach. You'll learn about healthier eating habits, ways to be more physically active and other behavior changes over the course of 16 weekly one-hour sessions. The group will continue meeting monthly, completing a full year of My Choice... My Health.
As a participant, you'll be working towards:
- Losing 5-7% of your starting body weight
- Being physically active for 150 minutes per week
Access to Classes
Attend 16 weekly classes and learn diabetes prevention basics.
Access to Coach
Access a Lifestyle Coach for additional support.
Set goals and log daily meals and fitness activity.
Share your progress and tips with your community.
National Kidney Foundation of Michigan's Diabetes Prevention Program is powered by WATT™, Wellness Anytime Through Technology.
It provides participants with an easy-to-use online and mobile tracking system and convenient access to their Lifestyle Coaches. WATT™ is designed with interactive features that allow you to stay engaged in your health, get support, and be active in your lifestyle management.